EV-64260-BP & GT64260 bi_recs

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Mar 20 18:55:36 EST 2002

In message <3C97C301.B5A95C8B at mvista.com> you wrote:

> The BI_ETH_CFG has already been shot down so we don't need to worry about it
> anyway.

Has been shot down? When? Where? Why? Am I missing something?

So how are we going to solve this issue - in 2.4 and 2.5?

We need to deal with boards with more than  one  ethernet  interface,
which  are already active in the firmware (net-booting from redundand
interfaces, using separate MAC addresses).

> > Ethernet driver, or where? How do you make sure that each Ethernet interface
> > gets the MAC address that belongs to it?

We added an index field to BI_ETH_CFG, didn't we?  The  driver  would
then "know" how to map this...

> This is a good point and this is an issue with any generic ethernet bi_rec
> scheme.  At this point, I'm back to preferring what you've done since...well...its
> done and I don't see anyone else caring much about this for other drivers.

We _do_ care, a little for 8xx, very much for 8260, also for 824x and
4xx.

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it. Some  can  avoid  it.
Geniuses remove it.
- Perlis's Programming Proverb #58, SIGPLAN Notices, Sept.  1982