pbbuttons, need some help

benh at kernel.crashing.org benh at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Mar 8 23:33:01 EST 2002

>The best way to get battery info now is to use to use /proc/pmu/ in newer
>(2.4) kernels.  My gkrellm-pmu plugin used to use adb directly, then PMUD,
>now /proc/pmu/.  I had to poke and prod at Paul Mackerras' Batmon to figure
>out O'Hare.  But /proc/pmu is transparent to what kind of system its on.
>Divide and conquer.  Nice that another conduit thats system independant
>exists.

Note that OHare in /proc/pmu is still known to be flawky as it seems
not all OHare based pbooks need the same formula. But at least it will
be fixed one day and I prefer indeed keeping that tricky code in a
single location. I do have some code to merge one of these days fixing
calculation for the 2400 for example.

>Along those same lines, I have a sugesstion for the gtk client for
>pbbuttons.  The program should use the X keycodes rather than associate
>with the daemon that controls the hardware.  This serves two purposes: X
>handles any client/server mess, and the GUI will be the system independant
>figurehead it should be (IMO).  Bastien wrote a similar program that uses
>the keycodes, so it could be used on any system with the keys, even an x86.
>(hadess.net)

Well, the daemon will still be needed to get the "special" keys on OHare
based powerbooks as I think those don't come via ADB.