problems with Sonnet Tempo ATA-100 - Is it supported?

Kevin B. Hendricks kevin.hendricks at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 11 12:32:16 EST 2002

Hi,

I have a Sonnet Tempo ATA100 I use when I boot under MacOSX that I have
been trying to make useful under Linux.

I looked and the chip is  Promise 20268 so I enabled the PDC202XX driver in
Linux as a module and applied the latest fixes that were talked about
recently on the kernel mailing list archive (direct from Promise).

Finally... the partition table is now readable on that drive (it has never
worked with any pdc202xx driver up to this point) but I now get some funny
error messages about "IN from bad port XXX at C02cfa68

My System.map shows the following for that address:
c02cfa3c T pci_init_pdc202xx

Here is the relevant piece of the dmesg (this is with Ben's latest kernel
rsynced on Saturday with some patches to get past the partition table hang
direct from Promise via the linux kernel mailing list archive.

PDC20268: IDE controller on PCI bus 01 dev a0
PDC20268: chipset revision 2
PDC20268: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
IN from bad port 41f at c02cfa68
IN from bad port 41a at c02cfa84
IN from bad port 41b at c02cfaa0
PDC20268: ROM enabled at 0x80090000
IN from bad port 3 at c02cfe1c
    ide2: BM-DMA at 0x0400-0x0407, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
IN from bad port 3 at c02cfe1c
    ide3: BM-DMA at 0x0408-0x040f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
hde: WDC WD600BB-32BSA0, ATA DISK drive
hde: 117231408 sectors (60022 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=116301/16/63,
UDMA(33)
 hde: [mac] hde1 hde2 hde3 hde4 hde5 hde6 hde7 hde8 hde9 hde10 hde11 hde12

So the latest patches on the kernel list for the pdc 202xx are a big
improvement (no more hanging at the partition map) but still not quite
right.

Here is what lspci -v says about the card:

01:14.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20268
(rev 02)
 (prog-if 85)
        Subsystem: Promise Technology, Inc.: Unknown device ad68
        Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, slow devsel, latency 16, IRQ 54
        I/O ports at 0440 [size=8]
        I/O ports at 0430 [size=4]
        I/O ports at 0420 [size=8]
        I/O ports at 0410 [size=4]
        I/O ports at 0400 [size=16]
        Memory at 800a0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        Expansion ROM at 80090000 [disabled] [size=64K]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

I noticed that I/O ports are enable (not disabled).  I thought all I/O was
MMIO (memory mapped) but I am unsure if this is the case.

This card works fine under MacOSX, and Mac OS9 and I hoped PPC Linux which
is why I bought it.

Can someone give me some hints about where to look to fix this?  Is it just
that the pdc202XX driver is not compatbile with ppc linux?

Is anyone else using a Sonnet Tempo ATA100 pci card successfully with DMA
and if so which driver?

Thanks,

Kevin