can/should we use gcc 3.1 to compile kernels

Kevin B. Hendricks kevin.hendricks at sympatico.ca
Sat Jun 8 06:44:08 EST 2002

Hi,

#define CNTRL_REG(INFO,REG) (&(((INFO)->control_regs-> ## REG).r))

Invoked via something like:

out_le32(CNTRL_REG(p,start_addr),
                 par->yoffset * par->pitch + (par->xoffset << par->cmode));

But control_regs looks like:

struct control_regs {
           struct preg start_addr; /* start address: 5 lsbs zero */
}

and preg looks like:

struct preg {                   /* padded register */
        unsigned r;
        char pad[12];
};

struct fb_info_control {
        struct control_regs     *control_regs;
}

So assuming p is a pointer to a fb_info_control_structure

then CNTL_REG(p,start_addr) must turn out to be:

(&((p->control_regs-> start_addr).r))

Is that correct?

It seems to need parentheses to me to help see what goes with what...

 It is funny to have a stucture given the exact same name as a field of
another structure, perhaps that is what is confusing gcc 3.1?  (and ME!)

Thanks,

Kevin