SMP/HIGHMEM/7450 status ?

Christopher Murtagh christopher.murtagh at mcgill.ca
Fri Jun 7 03:09:02 EST 2002

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 benh at kernel.crashing.org wrote:
>Xserve uses 7455 (like newer dual G4s), which doesn't seem to exhibit
>the problem.

 Damn... does this mean that the 7450 machines are lemons (wouldn't
surprise me if the answer was a resounding 'yes')?

 BTW, Ben, I'm not sure if you are aware of this (and I hope you don't
mind)...

 All of our production servers have been named after people that we admire
and/or we feel have made an important contribution in the computing world.
For example, our authentication machine (signin.mcgill.ca) is
turing.wcg.mcgill.ca from Alan Turing. Some of these include:

 lovelace.wcg.mcgill.ca
 babbage.wcg.mcgill.ca
 wall.wcg.mcgill.ca
 torvalds.wcg.mcgill.ca
 ritchie.wcg.mcgill.ca

 and recently, our 4 node briQ cluster:

 kernighan.wcg.mcgill.ca
 gosling.wcg.mcgill.ca
 wozniak.wcg.mcgil.ca
 herrenschmidt.wcg.mcgill.ca

 Currently, lovelace and babbage (which are web servers with a number of
v-hosts) have colophons if you go to their real names
(http://lovelace.wcg.mcgill.ca). We want to do something similar with all
of our machines as well some time this summer.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh