S3 trio config

Leigh Brown leigh at solinno.co.uk
Sun Jun 2 20:38:01 EST 2002

On Sat, 2002-06-01 at 09:39, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jun 2002, Paul Mackerras wrote:
> > I wrote:
> > > Does anyone know why we have this?  Is the S3 Trio display really only
> > > used on PReP or CHRP machines, not on any PCs?
> >
> > I should have said, not on any other PPC systems, of course, since
> > that code was in a CONFIG_PPC section.
>
> S3triofb relies on Open Firmware, so it can work on PowerMac/CHRP only. AFAIK
> it was used on CHRP only.

Well, S3triofb hasn't even compiled for ages.  I've attached a patch
that allows it to compile, and removes the dependency on OF.  However,
it still requires some sort of firmware to initialise the card.  I've
added a little hack so that it ignores the card if it wasn't initialised
by the firmware, since the driver doesn't have the code to initialise it
properly.

It works on the 7043-140 using a PReP kernel, and has been tested by
quite a few people.  Unfortunately, I no longer have an S3Trio card (and
to be honest, I know very little about graphics cards).

IMHO it's worth applying the patch as a working (just) driver is a
better starting point than a non-compiling one.

If there are other PPC systems that bring up the S3Trio in 640x480x8
mode then I suppose the driver will be applicable to them also....

Cheers,

Leigh.