iBook Modem Audio

Alex Papazoglou papazoga at reed.edu
Mon Jul 29 02:26:18 EST 2002

This message is directed at people working with (new) iBooks.

When a dialout command is issued to the iBooks internal modem and the
modem's "volume" (ATMx) is non-zero, the modem begins transmitting call
progress digital audio over the serial link. I'm wondering if anybody has
any information on the format of the stream. I have managed to get
something approximating the expected sound by using sox with a
sampling rate of 8000 using some logarithmic 16-bit encoding (or maybe 8
bits at around 16000?), so I'm reasonably confident that getting call
progress sound for your iBook2 is doable. Unfortunately, I know nothing
about sound encoding.

Anybody know more about this?

Alex Papazoglou