[RFC/Patch] 4xx idle loop

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Jul 26 02:20:26 EST 2002

>I can only think of three ifdef's that would be necessary now but it could
>grow.  If the #ifdef snarl is unattractive in idle.c it's easy enough to
>move it to chipfamily-specific headers so that idle.c just needs to call
>arch_idle() to enter an idle state.
>
>The function pointer isn't desirable.  What the correct strategy for power
>saving is known at compile time so there shouldn't be a function pointer
>dereference.  How the #ifdef's are done doesn't really matter as long as
>the inefficiency of a function pointer is avoided.

Well, while I tend to agree with you on this, experience proved that
slightly abusing the ppc_md. indirection somewhat helped make the
code cleaner (read: more self-contained, less cruft, ...)

Also, in this specific case, we might well want to have an machine
specific power saving feature: I've had various tweaks in mind for
powermac laptops that I never ended up implementing...

ben.