why isync in atomic icc and return and atomic dec and return for CONFIG_SMP

Kevin B. Hendricks kevin.hendricks at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 24 08:15:05 EST 2002

Hi,

"PowerPC Microprocessor Family: The Programming Environments" manual
(MPRPPCFPE-01, MPCFPE/AD from IBM Microelectronics and Motorola -dated
1994) on page 8-104 says the following about "isync" and I am quoting:

This instruction waits for all previous instructions to complete and then
discards any prefetched instructions, causing subsequent instructions to
be fetched (or refetched) from memory and to execute in the context
established by the previous instructions.  This instruction has NO EFFECT
on other processors or their caches.

So why should we be using this only for SMP systems?  If we are using the
atomic operations to create our own locks then I understand why the isync
but then it should be there for both smp and non-smp systems shouldn't it?

I must be missing something here?

Kevin