Broken asm/div64.h macro

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at drgw.net
Tue Jan 29 17:26:41 EST 2002

> >> So you copy the code from the libgcc sources, cfr. arch/m68k/lib/.
> >
> > Or optimize that, yes.  But linking directly is a no-no. :)
>
> Yes,it's should has the source in the kernel.
>
> However,the other archies(arm,cris,sh) use libgcc.a with static
> link.
> Those makefiles have
> LIBGCC  := $(shell $(CC) $(CFLAGS) --print-libgcc-file-name)
>
> If it's static link, it is same result isn't it?

libgcc is a no-no.. it's big, and also encourages users to do silly
things like long long divides and multiples in kernel fast-paths.

I posted a patch to linux-kernel (subject was 64 bit divides, or
something), regarding a cleanup for the whole asm/div64.h macro mess.

Troy Benjegerdes | master of mispeeling | 'da hozer' |  hozer at drgw.net
-----"If this message isn't misspelled, I didn't write it" -- Me -----
"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's
why I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Schulz