RFC: vesafb

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Thu Jan 24 19:52:02 EST 2002

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 hollis at austin.ibm.com wrote:
> The attached patch allows vesafb to work on PPC. vesafb does surprisingly

Nice!

> little with the BIOS (which I thought was the whole point of VESA). With some
> ifdef's I'm able to use it as sort of a VGA offb -- the firmware initializes
> the card, and the driver just uses it and never mucks with it.

Well, vesafb assumes the VESA BIOS initialized the card to some linear graphics
mode _before_ the real kernel code was started. Once the kernel is started, no
VESA calls are made, and the video mode is fixed.

So in theory (and you proved the practical side on PReP) it can be used on any
platform that initializes a more-or-less VGA card to a linear graphics mode.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds