mediabay hotswap, tun naming patches (2.4)

Joseph P. Garcia jpgarcia at execpc.com
Mon Jan 21 06:48:27 EST 2002

Greetings.

It's been a while.  Got a few patches that have been languishing in my system for too long.

One changes the mediabay ide_register call to an explicit call to the pmac_ide call that it needs, at least on a wallstreet.  Without this, an ide mediabay cannot be inserted post-boot.

The second patch changes the behavior of the tun device so that devices are not required to have a numerical value after their name.  I have yet to figure out how to tell MOL to assign a numerical value and pass tun a % like the kernel wants.  Just made it so that if there is no numerical value, then that tun device is the only one of its kind.  ( "mol" = one iface, while mol% = many ifaces, (or maybe "mol0" and "mol1" are explicit different ones, not same as "mol%" ifaces.)).  I suppose would be unnessesary/undesired when MOL gets updated to support ___% registration. (or i figure out how to use it :)

Thanks.

PS, I still use my wallstreet, and haven't found out why adb crashes.  rtc and nvram also appear to break at that moment, but pmu (battery support, etc) is fine.  still not sure if its a pure software issue or if hardware got confused.

--
Joseph P. Garcia
http://www.lycestra.com/