No cache control on ppc??

Timothy A. Seufert tas at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 13 16:36:57 EST 2002

At 4:39 PM -0500 1/12/02, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

>Bite off a small chunk of the image. Pulling a number out of
>my ass, I'll say 128x128 pixels and 4 frames deep. This fits
>nicely into my 1 MB L2 cache. Go with 64x64 for the MPC7410.

You don't need to cut cache use by 1/4 on the 7410.  It's got almost
the same L2 cache scheme as the 7400: they added one address bit so
it can use up to 2 MB of SRAM, and it can now use half or all of the
SRAM as memory instead of cache.  I think all of Apple's 7410 systems
have 1 MB L2, and naturally Apple configures it all as cache.

Were you thinking of the 7450?  It's the one that has 256 KB of
on-die L2.  Keep in mind that it still has an interface for external
cache, which is now L3.  Apple ships low end 7450 systems with no L3
and medium to high range systems with 2 MB L3.
--
Tim Seufert