Having linking problems with atomic_inc(), atomic_dec_and_test() in user app, help!

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Jan 4 23:57:37 EST 2002

>>I have what I hope is an easy question for you... I have am writing an
>>user-space application that does some multithreading (using pthreads), and
>>does some thread-safe reference counting by using the functions in
>>asm/atomic.h.  Specifically, I'm using the atomic_inc(atomic_t *) and
>>atomic_dec_and_test(atomic_t *) functions.

Those are kernel functions, not availble to userland. If your userland
application need them, you have to either re-implement them, or rely on
equivalent routines provided by glibc if any.

If you plan to re-implement them, beware that some CPU-specific errata
have to be taken into account, you probably want to add all the sync's
that are CONFIG-dependant in the kernel in your userland implementation
for it to work properly on all PPC CPUs and on SMP machines.

Ben.