Having linking problems with atomic_inc(), atomic_dec_and_test() in user app, help!

Jeremy Friesner jaf at lcsaudio.com
Fri Jan 4 14:24:40 EST 2002

Hi Linux Guys,

I have what I hope is an easy question for you... I have am writing an
user-space application that does some multithreading (using pthreads), and
does some thread-safe reference counting by using the functions in
asm/atomic.h.  Specifically, I'm using the atomic_inc(atomic_t *) and
atomic_dec_and_test(atomic_t *) functions.

Under Red Had Linux 7.1 on an Intel box, the program compiles and links fine.
Under LinuxPPC 2.2.17-0.6.1, however, the link fails with the error output
that is included below -- it fails whether I have optimization enabled (-O3),
or not.  Is there some special library I need to link in, or magic compiler
flag needed in order to access those functions?  Any advice?

Also, what does "relocation truncated to fit: R_PPC_REL24 atomic_inc(atomic_t
*)" mean?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Begin link output--------------

gcc  -o lxelcd Message.o AbstractMessageIOGateway.o MessageIOGateway.o
String.o StorageReflectSession.o AbstractReflectSession.o
DumbReflectSession.o ReflectServer.o StringMatcher.o PathMatcher.o
NetworkUtilityFunctions.o SysLog.o Thread.o muscled.o FileDescriptorDataIO.o
FilterSessionFactory.o PulseNode.o RateLimitSessionIOPolicy.o
MemoryAllocator.o GlobalMemoryAllocator.o CCSysexMessageIOGateway.o
CCModuleMessageIOGateway.o CCFrameMessageIOGateway.o CCSession.o
CCModuleChainSession.o CCControlSession.o CCServer.o CCFrameSession.o
CCComponentSession.o CCConfigFile.o CCRangeConvert.o CCModuleLogic.o
CCTransportModuleLogic.o CCEditorModuleLogic.o CCMeterModuleLogic.o
CCFaderModuleLogic.o CCBitPack.o CCFrameSubscription.o
CCDynamicHardwareSession.o CCSoftMeterSession.o CCSoftMeterModuleLogic.o
CCAbstractEditBoxModuleLogic.o CCEQEditBoxModuleLogic.o
CCBusAssignEditBoxModuleLogic.o CCSoftGenericSession.o
CCSoftGenericModuleLogic.o ControlPointSpec.o CCChannelInfo.o ccserverd.o
ccconfigd.o LXADTPSession.o LXFakeStorage.o LXFakeFileStorage.o
LXADTPIOGateway.o LXSCSIStorage.o lxaudiodtpd.o LXWTRXAudioIOGateway.o
LXWTRXAudioSession.o LXWTRXIOGateway.o LXWTRXServer.o LXWTRXSession.o
LXWTRXStatusIOGateway.o LXWTRXStatusSession.o tc.o lxwtrxd.o AsyncIORequest.o
LXWTRXAsyncDiskIOSession.o SafetyNetDataIO.o LXTCPComSession.o
LXTCPComIOGateway.o LXTCPHSBIOGateway.o LXTCPComServer.o lxtcpcomd.o lxelcd.o
webserve.o sock.o filewebserve.o getframesstatus.o sendsysex.o watchalerts.o
smallframestatus.o -lm -lpthread
Message.o: In function `muscle::AtomicCounter::AtomicIncrement(void)':
Message.o(.muscle::AtomicCounter::gnu.linkonce.t.AtomicIncrement(void)+0x24):
undefined reference to `atomic_inc(atomic_t *)'
Message.o(.muscle::AtomicCounter::gnu.linkonce.t.AtomicIncrement(void)+0x24):
relocation truncated to fit: R_PPC_REL24 atomic_inc(atomic_t *)
Message.o: In function `muscle::AtomicCounter::AtomicDecrement(void)':
Message.o(.muscle::AtomicCounter::gnu.linkonce.t.AtomicDecrement(void)+0x24):
undefined reference to `atomic_dec_and_test(atomic_t *)'
Message.o(.muscle::AtomicCounter::gnu.linkonce.t.AtomicDecrement(void)+0x24):
relocation truncated to fit: R_PPC_REL24 atomic_dec_and_test(atomic_t *)
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [lxelcd] Error 1
[jaf at jonathan lxelcd]$