new G4 dual 1 gig is here - how to install?

Kevin B. Hendricks khendricks at ivey.uwo.ca
Sat Feb 16 13:24:05 EST 2002

Hi Ani and Ben,

I now have the radeonfb driver working.  I had to make the following
changes:

1. pass "dfp" as the kernel parameters to force use of the DVI port to
get around the BIOS Scratch register issue (see my last mail message)

2. Change the code that looks for OF EDID to use the following:

dp =
find_device_path("/pci at f0000000/ATY,BlueStoneParent at 10/ATY,BlueStone_A");
pedid = get_property(dp,"EDID",0);

This is because the pci_device_to_OF_node had dp pointing to
/pci at f0000000/ATY,BlueStoneParent at 10 node where the ATY,RefClk property
was and not into ATY,BlueStone_A which is where the OF "EDID" info was
(i.e. changed node structure with a dual head card).

This is obviously a hack.  For dual head cards we need to search the
node we read ATY,RefClk from and all of its children looking for the
EDID info (but what if both BlueStone_A and BlueStone_B have EDID blocks
that differ?  Is BlueStone_A always the DVI port?  If so, if no monitor
is connected to it no EDID is present.  So we could simply look in both
and use that info to see which ports have EDID blocks which will tell us
which ports have monitors attached or not (fixing issue 1)

3.  I had to stop writing out TMDS_TRANSMITTER_CNTL values which I
needed with the old G3 B+W and the Radeom Mac 32 card. Writing anything
to this register value under the 7500 just seems to make the screen go
blank.

I have no idea how to workaround this.  Perhaps you can make it a
compile time option to either include or not include the
TMDS_TRANSMITTER_CNTL setting under radeon_write_mode.  Right now I have
simply commented them out.

With those changes in place we seem to get a very nice console on the
7500 that can be ordered as an option on the new PowerMac G4's

I will now build XF 420 and get X11 going and once there I will move to
SMP to start testing those features.

Hope this info helps,

Kevin