two aty128 frame buffers?

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Fri Feb 8 12:34:26 EST 2002

On Fre, 2002-02-08 at 02:15, Jeffery von Ronne wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 11:55:59AM -0800, Jeffery von Ronne wrote:
> > FYI, hacking the kernel's aty128fb driver---by removing the return 0;
> > in aty128fb_init's PCI probe loop---I can get an aty128fb for both cards.
> > So far, I've only gotten X's fbdev driver to work with it.  I looks closer
> > into why r128/UseFB isn't working some other time.
>
> I can get X's r128_drv/UseFB driver to work with /dev/fb0, but attempting
> to use anything other than X's fbdev with /dev/fb1 sig-11's (it seems to
> be the same no matter what driver /dev/fb0 is using).

The r128 driver lacks Option "fbdev" to choose the framebuffer device to
use, so it will always try to use /dev/fb0. Should be easy to add
looking at the fbdev driver.

> > Second, it seems to have trouble erasing things (e.g. instead of putting
> > up the X background grid when I move a window or even initially.)
>
> This actually happens on both /dev/fb0 and /dev/fb1 when X's fbdev driver
> is used.  It seems that it often just forgets to copy its shadow framebuffer
> to the real framebuffer.  Setting ShadowFB to false, seemed to fix that.

Bummer, sounds like there's a problem with the mishadow code.

> PS An XF86Config-4 and XFree86.0.log from when I tried to use fbdev on /dev/fb0
>    and r128 on /dev/fb1 is at http://www.ics.uci.edu/~jronne/tmp

I guess the segfault is due to both drivers trying to use /dev/fb0, but
keep in mind that vgaHW only works for bus 0 unless you change that in
lnx_video.c.