PowerSpan PCI / sym2 SCSI

Hollis Blanchard hollis at austin.ibm.com
Sat Aug 24 02:19:55 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 10:08, Allen Curtis wrote:
> > I didn't notice you were still having problems with version 1 of the
> > driver; I thought you had resolved that. IME that almost always means
> > your PCI config is not correct.
>
> I have used a peek/poke utility to access the SYM53C8xx via PCI memory and
> I/O. Both seem to be working fine. Obviously since the sym_2 driver works in
> at least one configuration, the translation from the PCI bus back to CPU
> memory is also correct.

Well, I would start by finding the error ("CACHE TEST FAILED: DMA error
(dstat=0x81)."), see under what conditions it occurs, and work backwards
from there.

It may really be that "normal IO" uses inb/outb. Do other drivers that
use ioremap/readb/writeb work on your system?

> Still feels like an endian issue to me.

I'm not sure it is an endian problem because as I mentioned I've used
the sym2 driver on PPC without problems.

-Hollis