[RFC/PATCH] idle loop changes

Dan Malek dan at embeddededge.com
Thu Aug 1 06:25:57 EST 2002

Tom Rini wrote:

> I'm not totally sure if it's better to do it this way, or to not provide
> a default power_save(), so that if we don't set pm_idle to something, we
> just never call power_save() (as opposed to a call, check for a bit &
> return).  Comments?

I think whether we force everything to have a power_save() function,
even if it is empty, or initialize a pointer and have an indirect call
doesn't make much difference.  What does make a difference, is there could
be power save functions that are unique to a board.  Some processors have
power save options that can cause a lower frequency clock to be used which
will affect external devices.  In such cases, the devices on a board may
need some adjustment when these power save modes are entered/exited.

Thanks.

	-- Dan