2.5 (or beyond) arch-specific boot modules

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at drgw.net
Wed Apr 17 09:16:52 EST 2002

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 11:11:48AM -0700, Michael Sokolov wrote:

> Troy Benjegerdes <hozer at drgw.net> wrote:
>
> > Above all, *readable* code, because otherwise someone changes something,
> > and inadvertently breaks machines that they don't have to test on.
>
> We've got this one settled in favor of ELF section magic to add machines, which
> works for both of us.

Good.

Something along these lines we might want to think about eventually is if
the 2.5 changes for initramfs and making everything a module actually go
through is to make all the board-specific init a module.

Granted, this brings up all kinds of other issues, but I do think they can
be dealt with.

boot would probably go something like this:

Init MMU
find initramfs filesystem image
unpack it
load init module to figure out what machine we are
load board-specific init modules
init pci & other IO
etc..

> > If better functionality for the user is your goal, you can't achieve it by
> > designing code around that goal. (Unless, of course, you're Apple computer
> > and have large resources for QA and testing, and design the hardware
> > yourself)
>
> I do design the hardware myself now. But the company I take example from is
> DEC, not Apple.

Heh ;)

Well, for technical users, that's great.. DEC never did much for the
'average' computer user. ;)

Troy Benjegerdes | master of mispeeling | 'da hozer' |  hozer at drgw.net
-----"If this message isn't misspelled, I didn't write it" -- Me -----
"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's
why I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Schulz