Incoming to helium.harhan.org:/home/linuxppc/linuxppc_2_4_alt

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at drgw.net
Tue Apr 16 02:54:42 EST 2002

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 12:23:57PM -0700, Michael Sokolov wrote:

> Tom Rini <trini at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
>
> > Well, take a look at what the file used to look like in _devel.  It was
> > around 30-40 lines of that.  Which is not nice to look at.
>
> So what's more important, a pretty look or better functionality for the user?

Above all, *readable* code, because otherwise someone changes something,
and inadvertently breaks machines that they don't have to test on.

Which then results in a crappy user experience because the same config
they are used to useing doesn't work anymore on the latest 'stable'
kernel.

This *still* happens a lot for my MTX, but it's gotten a lot better
over time.

If better functionality for the user is your goal, you can't achieve it by
designing code around that goal. (Unless, of course, you're Apple computer
and have large resources for QA and testing, and design the hardware
yourself)

Troy Benjegerdes | master of mispeeling | 'da hozer' |  hozer at drgw.net
-----"If this message isn't misspelled, I didn't write it" -- Me -----
"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's
why I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Schulz