meaning of error

David Boutcher boutcher at us.ibm.com
Fri Apr 12 13:31:11 EST 2002

> Any help would be appreciated.  In the error "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable
> mount root fs on 01:01" what does the 01:01 stand for?  I've also seen
00:00
> and 01:00.

Devices are identified by a major number and minor number.  This says the
kernel is looking on major 01 minor 01 for a file system....and not finding
one. Usually you fix this by adding a "root=/dev/sda1" (or whatever) kernel
parameter when you boot.  The kernel doesn't "search" for a root file
system....it basically expects it to be where you tell it.

Dave Boutcher
Senior Technical Staff Member
iSeries Linux Development and Architecture