dmasound audio patch

Bill Fink billfink at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 8 23:22:53 EST 2002

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Bill Fink wrote:

> On 08 Apr 2002, Michel Dänzer wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2002-04-07 at 23:23, Bill Fink wrote:
> > >
> > > A friend of mine, Rob Scott, worked up a patch to the dmasound driver
> > > that fixes some of the PPC endianness issues by doing byte swapping
> > > in the driver.  He uses it on a Titanium PowerBook, and I am using it
> > > on a dual 500 MHz G4 with good results.  Before the patch, using xmms
> > > with the AudioCD Reader plugin, I had to use the esound driver since
> > > the OSS driver just gave static.  Now I can use the OSS driver directly,
> > > so there's no need to run the esd daemon.
> >
> > Must be an old version of xmms? It swaps bytes if necessary since 1.2.5
> > or so.
>
> Hi Michel,
>
> That's good to know.  I was using xmms-1.2.4 that came with YDL 2.1,
> but I see that YDL 2.2 has xmms-1.2.5, so I'll give that a try.
>
> 						-Thanks
>
> 						-Bill

Hmmm.  I just tried xmms-1.2.5 and got:

% xmms
/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libcdread.so: undefined symbol: playlist_position

I then updated to xmms-cdread-0.11d, but when I tried playing a CD
with the OSS output driver, I still got static.

This is already getting much more trouble than it's worth, and this
is just one app.  I'll stick with my friend's dmasound kernel patch,
which works just fine for the apps I generally use.

						-Bill

P.S.  There didn't seem to be *ANY* xmms-cdread PPC RPM with YDL 2.2,
      let alone an updated one (I got the xmms-cdread-0.11d PPC RPM
      from LinuxPPC Contribs).

P.P.S.  Another thing I noticed missing from YDL 2.2 is mozilla-chat.