yaboot & zImage's

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Sep 22 08:44:20 EST 2001

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 05:05:20PM -0400, Dan Malek wrote:
> Tom Rini wrote:
>
> > > I've booted a zImage.rs6k-chrp from yaboot 1.2.5.
> >
> > That almost sounds silly.
>
> Actually, it's not very silly at all.  The zImage is significantly
> smaller than a corresponding vmlinux, so it takes much less time
> to load the image.

Yes, but it almost sounds silly since yaboot is a full blow bootloader.
Fer instance even, imho it'd make more sense for yaboot to take the
objcopy'ed & gzip'ed vmlinux and throw that at KERNELADDR or so.

> Also, many systems claim the lower memory where we want to load
> the kernel.  The only option is the load it in some higher
> memory hole, and then have it copy itself.  You may as well
> uncompress at the same time....

Yes, but if we've already loaded yaboot, couldn't we do the same thing
you're saying with a vmlinux.gz?

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/