yaboot & zImage's

Peter Bergner bergner at brule.borg.umn.edu
Sat Sep 22 05:40:50 EST 2001

Sorry, I should have been a little more explicit.  Yes, I meant to
say zImage (including zImage.initrd, duh).  No, yaboot does not
do compression.

The only reason we couldn't boot zImages before, was that yaboot
_always_ loaded the image from the FS into memory at KERNELADDR.
This is what vmlinux wants/expects.  OTOH, zImage (or any other
program) expects to be loaded into memory where it was linked at.
The code now detects if we're loading a vmlinux or not.  If it's a
vmlinux, then yaboot loads the image at KERNELADDR, otherwise it
loads it at the p_vaddr value for each ELF segment.

To detect if we're loading a vmlinux, we look at the e_entry value and
if it is equal to 0xC0000000 for ELF32 or 0xC000000000000000 for ELF64,
then we _assume_ it's a vmlinux.

Peter