floating-point under ppc/linux

Franz Sirl Franz.Sirl-ppc at lauterbach.com
Tue Oct 30 21:49:44 EST 2001

At 04:38 30.10.2001, Paul Mackerras wrote:

>Is there anyone on this list who does, or wants to do, serious
>floating point computations on PPC?  I know that our FP exception
>handling is a bit, um, deficient and I would like to fix it, but I
>would like some advice about what would be the most useful way to have
>it work.
>
>I am thinking that the FE0 and FE1 bits in the MSR will be set
>according to the disposition of the SIGFPE signal: SIG_IGN => 00
>(disabled), SIG_DFL => 01 (imprecise nonrecoverable mode), user
>handler => 10 (imprecise recoverable mode).
>
>What I am not sure about is whether we should change FE0/FE1 when
>SIGFPE is blocked.  Consider the case where SIGFPE has a user
>handler and an FP exception occurs.  The cpu will take an FP exception
>whenever the FEX bit in the FPSCR is set and (FE0 | FE1) is true.  So
>we take the exception, generate the SIGFPE signal and deliver it,
>which involves setting up the stack frame etc. for running the SIGFPE
>handler in userspace.
>
>Now during the execution of the signal handler, to avoid taking
>continual FP exceptions we need to do one of two things: either set
>FE0/FE1 to 00 in the MSR, or clear the FEX bit in the FPSCR.  Since
>the FEX bit is not directly writable (it's just the OR of the AND of
>the each of the exception status bits with the corresponding enable
>bit), we would need to either clear the status bit or the enable bit
>for the exception that occurred.
>
>I don't like the idea of the kernel changing the FPSCR.  Clearing the
>status bit means that the SIGFPE handler can't easily find out what
>exception occurred.  And clearing the exception enable bit will change
>the behaviour of various FP operations.
>
>On the other hand, running with FE0/1 = 00 means that we have to take
>account of whether SIGFPE is blocked, as well as its disposition, in
>determining what to set FE0/1 to.
>
>At a deeper level, when do we consider that the SIGFPE signal is
>generated?  Is it generated whenever FEX is set, even if SIGFPE is
>blocked at that time?  If that is the case, then SIGFPE will be
>generated afresh after it is delivered since there will be a time when
>the signal handler is running and has not yet cleared FEX.  Or is the
>signal generated only when FEX is set and SIGFPE is not blocked?
>
>In other words, if a program blocks SIGFPE, does something that
>generates a floating-point exception, then clears the exception status
>in FPSCR, then unblocks SIGFPE, should it get a SIGFPE signal
>delivered to it at that point?
>
>Finally, is it reasonable to say that it is the responsibility of the
>signal handler to clear FEX, by clearing either the status or enable
>bit for the exception that occurred?
>
>Opinions?

I've cc'ed Geoff, as he probably knows this stuff by heart. Especially the
interactions with glibc may be a problem, cause currently glibc is forced
to change FE0/1 via generating a signal _in_ glibc, which is certainly not
a nice thing. A syscall to change FE0/1 from userspace should be added to
the kernel probably.

Franz.