benh's kernel is unable to compile.

Bryce McKinlay bryce at waitaki.otago.ac.nz
Tue Oct 30 20:59:19 EST 2001

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

>>FYI I built 2.4.14-pre2-ben0 out of rsync about 2 hours ago and it seems
>>to be working. It does get some IDE errors about lost IRQs during bootup
>>that didn't happen with 2.4.13-ben0. Eventually it said "ide0: reset"
>>and now appears to be working normally. This is on a Powebook G4.
>>

>That's absolutely not normal. Can you send me a dmesg log of this
>situation ? The ide:reset will have disabled DMA, thus causing your
>to be very slow.

Yep - I've attached the log below.

>If you re-enable DMA later one (hdparm -d1 /dev/hda), to you again
>get lost IRQs & ide reset or does it stick ?

Re-enabling DMA causes the same messages and another reset.

BTW, thanks so much for all the wonderful work you do on linux-ppc. I am
very impressed with how well my Powerbook runs - particularly with the
PMU and Airport support. I get better battery life under Linux than OS X!

regards

Bryce.