GeForce on PPC == _no work_

Derrik Pates dpates at dsdk12.net
Mon Oct 29 05:57:47 EST 2001

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> The video drivers are among the things Apple didn't open source as part
> of Darwin :(

How nice.

> This includes all drivers not entirely owned by Apple (ATI, nVidia, Adaptec,
> Airport, ...) and some Apple drivers they didnt want to open source for
> various (bad) reasons (PMU, ieee1394 controllers).

Hm. Yay. All hail Apple and their "open-source" (with 50,000 or so
exceptions) operating system. Bah. Oh, and hooray for nVidia, too. :p

Tried talking to Mark Vojkovich, and unfortunately, he doesn't have any
info to give me either. I'm now disgusted. And of course, no binary
drivers for nVidia boards on PPC (hooray for binary drivers too), so I'm
disgusted and stuck.

I don't suppose anyone knows if there's any hope of reverse-engineering
the MacOS 9 or OS X nVidia drivers?

Derrik Pates      |   Sysadmin, Douglas School   |    #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates at dsdk12.net |     District (dsdk12.net)    |    #linuxOS on OPN