idebus=133 ?

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Oct 23 08:44:53 EST 2001

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 11:11:06AM -0700, Dave Ray wrote:

> Thanks for the replies. The reason I ask is that when
> I use "idebus=66" in the boot argument, the syslog
> shows bootup message "using 66MHz bus speed.." rather
> than "assuming 33MHz bus speed..".

Because you overrode it, that's why. :)  I don't think the kernel ever
tries to check things that the user tell it.

> So I assumed the
> inclusion of the boot argument sped up the computer.
> Are the appearances of these messages in the syslog
> fictitious? Or should I simply not go over 66?

You shouldn't change it at all.  Again, this has to do with the speed of
the PCI bus, _not_ weather it's ATA/33, ATA/66, ATA/100, and not the
speed of the memory bus.

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/