arch/ppc/kernel clutter

Ralph Blach rcblach at raleigh.ibm.com
Sat Oct 20 03:42:44 EST 2001

Paul,

I don't feel the PPC tree, or most of the developers, realize what's
happening in the Power PC hardware Arena.
The powerpc hardware is becoming increasingly diverse because  of the
IBM core connect technology.
CoreConnect allows hardware designers to easily reusable hardware cores
much like a programmer uses a subroutine.
(See www.chips.ibm.com).  (I am not sure what Mot has)

This allows IBM to quickly integrate different sets of peripherals to a
processor core.
One only has to look to the 405 to see the effects of this.  Announced
for the 405 are the
405CR, 405GP, NPE405H, NPE405L, the Ranier network processor, the 405LP
and the stb04xxx. There are also many CSSPs which
have 405 processor cores that have been designed or are in process.
These CSSP's  have peripherals that are not in any of the
of the released chips but are in IBM core library.  Many of these
CSSP's  have customer designed peripherals.
(This is NOT a sales pitch.  This is just to let everybody know that way
IBM (and probably Mot ) stitches processors
and peripherals together has changed. IE, It a LOT easier now to stich
together Processor cores and components
to make a CSSP. )

All of these chips have a different mix of on chip peripherals.  Given
the ease that the hardware designers
now have in creating chips, we need a PPC linux structure that
recognizes this.

The linux kernel ppc tree is going to have to become much more flexible
to recognize the incredible flexibility that
IBM and Motorola are  designing into the PPC hardware.

Chip