PPC+southbridge designs

Adrian Cox adrian at humboldt.co.uk
Sat Oct 13 02:14:10 EST 2001

Matt Porter wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 09:37:27AM -0400, mod+linuxppc-dev at mclx.com wrote:
>>How many existing PPC-based machines incorporate one
>>of those kitchen-sink southbridge chips like the VIA
>>VT82C686B that are normally found in x86-based machines?

> A lot of them.  Hardware developers for high-end PPC embedded designs
> like them as a way to get UARTs, PIC, and IDE in one dirt-cheap package.
> Software developers hate them because they are evil.

Once they've used them once, the hardware engineers think they're evil
as well. But I did get a 7410 system with a Via 686a up and running the
2.4-devel kernel. I think all the necessary fixes have percolated into
the main tree, except for one MIDI fix which is only in Alan Cox's kernel.

--
Adrian Cox   http://www.humboldt.co.uk/