boot methods

Nils Krueger nilz at hoschi.de
Fri Oct 12 23:37:51 EST 2001

Hi Paul!

> I would like to make a complete list of the methods people use to boot
> the PPC/Linux kernel on different platforms.  As a start, here is what
> I can think of off the top of my head:

I have a Motorola PowerStack "Series E" PReP machine.

I can boot the zImage.prep from a "PPC PReP Boot" partition (type 41) having
written it to that partition using the dd command.

The PPCBug firmware has also the following options. I have only tested
booting from floppy.

- boot zImage from floppy disk, CD or tape (also directly written to it)
- network boot (tftp)

Nilz
--
http://www.hoschi.de/nilz   (Nilz' Homepage)