do we need -fPIC for X11R6 modules

Kevin B. Hendricks khendricks at ivey.uwo.ca
Tue Oct 9 10:54:57 EST 2001

Hi Ani,

Quick question.  Should we be building X11R6 modules with -fPIC?  When I
try, the resulting modules generate lots of unresolved symbols (like
"fixup", etc).

What exactly are X11R6 modules?  Are they shared libraries?  If so, they
should be built using -fPIC?  If they are not shared libraries, how are
they "loaded" and "linked" in?

If they are "loaded and linked" into a normal shared library, then -fPIC
should be used anyway.

I guess I don't understand how a load-on-demand module can be created
without -fPIC.

Any guidance you (or anyone else :-) might provide would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin