VT82C686B IDE and Linux/PPC woes

Paul Mackerras paulus at samba.org
Tue Nov 27 13:50:32 EST 2001

Michael Sokolov writes:

> Yet when I boot Linux/PPC, it sees the IDE ports, but doesn't see the drive
> attached to the IDE0 port (see the session log below). My port in
> arch/ppc/platforms does absolutely nothing IDE-related, in .config I have IDE
> and VT82C686B support enabled. Is there something that my Linux/PPC port has to
> do explicitly with IDE in order for it to work?

Hmmm, there shouldn't be any problem.  You do have CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI
enabled I assume?  Your k2_ide_init_hwif_ports looks OK to me.  I
would scatter some printks through drivers/ide/ide-pci.c to try to get
an idea what it is doing and where it is going wrong.

BTW, I can't see any reason why we still need to have
ide_init_hwif_ports be platform-specific.  It is only used for
PC-style IDE interfaces and for PCI IDE interfaces.  For other types
of interface we should be adding a probe call in ide.c rather than
trying to do it with ide_default_io_base and ide_init_hwif_ports.
Not that this applies to the k2.

Paul.