[RFC] generic MIPS RTC driver

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Sun Nov 11 21:14:26 EST 2001

On Sat, 10 Nov 2001, Jun Sun wrote:
> For many MIPS boards that start to use CONFIG_NEW_TIME_C, two rtc operations
> are implemented, rtc_get_time() and rtc_set_time().
>
> It is possible to write a simple generic RTC driver that is based on
> these two ops and can do simple RTC read&write ops.
>
> In other words, with such a driver, once you implemented rtc_get_time()
> and rtc_set_time(), which is required by the kernel anyway, you will
> automatically get a free /dev/rtc/ driver.
>
> This is the idea behind the generic MIPS rtc driver.  See the patch below.

Oh no, don't tell me we now have (at least) _three_ of these floating around
:-)

  - On m68k, we have drivers/char/genrtc.c (not yet merged, check out CVS, see
    http://linux-m68k-cvs.apia.dhs.org/).
  - On PPC, we have drivers/macintosh/rtc.c.
  - On MIPS, we now have your drivers/char/mips_rtc.c.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds