The Plan

Matt Porter mporter at mvista.com
Wed Nov 7 23:09:50 EST 2001

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 10:35:07PM +1100, Paul Mackerras wrote:

> (to reduce the arch/ppc/kernel clutter, that is)

<snip>

> We can discuss variations on this theme, for example we could possibly
> move platforms/iSeries* to iSeries/, since it already has its own
> directory.  As the number of platforms grows, we can consider moving
> other groups of platforms into their own directories as well.

Sounds great to me.  I'd like to fold a number of embedded 7xx/74xx
system files into directories by their manufacturer names.

arch/ppc/kernel/platforms/Motorola/
					sandpoint_*
					mvme5100_*
					mcp765_*
					etc.
arch/ppc/kernel/platforms/Force/
					pcore_*
					powerpmc_*
					etc.

arch/ppc/kernel/platforms/xyz/

The next step (since we've all been working away at abstracting
our common interfaces) is to collapse the *_[setup|pci].c files
in a single file to further reduce clutter on those systems for
which it makes practical sense.  Again, that's most of our
embedded 7xx/74xx/8240 ports.

--
Matt Porter
MontaVista Software, Inc.