drivers - modules versus compiled in?

Kevin B. Hendricks khendricks at ivey.uwo.ca
Fri Nov 2 05:01:53 EST 2001

Hi Dan,

The driver in question is the tulip nic driver with my modifications to
support the PNIC_II chip (but most of the driver is common acrosss other
chips that tulip supports including transmit and receive buffer code,
which I have not touched)

The funny thing is that when compiled as a module, it works flawlessly.
But when I compile it into the kernel, it seems a bit flakey and some
received packets get lost somehow (I can see the transmitted packets
generating link activity on the switch, but nothing seems to come the
other way).  The driver debug messages all look sane and it looks like the
driver is working but not data is ever returned from the card.

This driver does use DMA and does allocate buffer space for it.

Given the "virt_to_bus()' issue you describe, I would expect the compiled
in kernel to be the working one and not the one built as a module.

Are there any mechanisms that would help isolate a module's memory from
corruption that don't exist when compiled into a kernel?

Thanks,

Kevin