Success! (was Re: External Monitor under Pismo)

Jason E. Stewart jason at openinformatics.com
Fri May 4 19:08:06 EST 2001

"Michel Dänzer" <michdaen at iiic.ethz.ch> writes:

> Jason E. Stewart wrote:
>
> > "Michel Dänzer" <michdaen at iiic.ethz.ch> writes:
> >

> >> I am reluctant to do that. I'd prefer to get a solution into XFree86.
> >> Someone please try the attached patch against current CVS. It turns
> >> Option
>
> >> "UseBIOSDisplay" (which probably doesn't work for us - no BIOS here...) into
> >> Option "Display" which accepts modes "CRT", "FP", "Mirror" and "BIOS".
> > Hey Michel,
>
> > I've had a heck of a time with this one. Using the new r128_drv.o
> > that
>
> > I compile from the CVS HEAD gives me an error that the module is using
> > a newer ABI than the server...
> > So I compiled and installed the whole X package from CVS (into
>
> > /usr/X11R6-local using ProjectRoot).
>
> Might have been enough to use the new XFree86 binary as well.

Bummer... seems like XFree86 has ProjectRoot hard-coded into the
binary. I'll have to recompile with ProjectRoot not redefined.

> > I tried to use my old X configuration and it doesn't work at all,
> > server just hangs. I figured some configuration files in /etc/X11 must
> > have gotten stomped by the CVS install of X, so I ran dpkg --remove of
> > xserver-common and xserver-xfree86, followed by an apt-get install,
> > but it's still hosed.

The server didn't hang, it actually crashed the machine, forcing me to
ctrl-command-power :-(

It's now fixed. dpkg --purge all of X, plus reinstall and it now works
again. I'll let you know what happens when I'm done recompiling the
new XFree86 binary.

Thanks,
jas.