Sound stoppage

Kostas Gewrgiou gewrgiou at imbc.gr
Wed Mar 28 19:09:12 EST 2001

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Iain Sandoe wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2001, Takashi Oe wrote:
>
> > I have no idea if how AWACS' tx dbdma behaves, but it may be necessary to
> > make the write to control register multi-step or something, i.e., clear
> > RUN [in order to clear DEAD bit] and wait until RUN bit is cleared by hw,
> > then set RUN|WAKE..
>
> OK... that is different (in detail) from what was tried before - I think
> I'll ask for a volunteer to test this...  Peter?

Thats more or less what i first tried (with no luck...)

> >> If it would, then we could save all this hassle completely...
> >>
> >> BTW: I don't *think* it does because one of my testers tried a similar
> >> method to the one you proposed and said it chopped up/repeated sound.
>
> > Hmm, I think it has to be either "chopped up" or "repeated" not both..  As
> > far as dbdma is concerned, those two are quite different effects.
>
> Well, with fragments of a few tens of ms - it's all highly subjective.

With any ide activity the dbdma commands can fail repeatedly for a looong time
in my machine (some times up to 10secs).....

> I see it like this:
>
> The sound is chopped up (since some form of blocking has caused the problem
> in the first place)  and then the "fix" causes part of the sound to be
> repeated - I think this is the origin of the apparently conflicting report.

If the failed command is ignored then we have the "chopped up" effect (a
3min song finishes in less than 30secs this way under heavy ide activity..)
The "repeated" effect shows up if the packet is resend to dbdma.

btw about the sound related macos patch for some powercomputing machines
might have nothing to do with this problem. Sound works fine in macos in my
PowerWave without it, so macos already handles it right.

  Kostas