Sound skips

Giuliano Pochini pochini at shiny.it
Mon Mar 26 17:17:45 EST 2001

>>> there are a variety of things that can block for between 16 & 300 ms (not
>>> necessarily IRQs).
>>>
>>> what size fragments are you using?
>>
>> 2K. I have to rise it to 8KB to work fine. My friend with the G4 still have
>> very few interruptions even with 8KB.
>
> OK.... if you can't do with such large fragments....
>
>  You might want to try Andrew Morton's Low-Latency patch (URL:
>  http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/schedlat.html#downloads )

Ok, I'll try, but this problem regards interrupt latency, not user-space latency.

In the meantime I applied your patch (ints << 10 can't compile
in _core.c and I had to comment them out). It makes no difference.
I was fiddling compiling things and I noticed that one of the
worst offenders is libtool, a script in the root the the xmms source tree. Just
run it to get a 100ms pause. This night I'll check if rt_sigprocmask() keeps
irq disabled. Another thing is console scrolling.

Bye.
    Giuliano Pochini ->)|(<- Shiny Network {AS6665} ->)|(<-