Sound stoppage

Iain Sandoe iain at sandoe.co.uk
Mon Mar 26 14:26:05 EST 2001

Mon, Mar 26, 2001,  Hollis R Blanchard wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Michael R. Zucca wrote:
>>
>> I'm having a problem with sound stopping when I'm trying to use it at the
>> same time as X.
>>
>> Machine lowdown:
>> PowerCenter 132 with a Sonnet 750 upgrade.
>
> I used to have this problem, also on a PowerCenter 132.
>
> I haven't used that machine in a while, but I believe such problems were
> fixed with Iain Sandoe's dmasound patches & backport. I don't remember the
> link offhand; check http://penguinppc.org/dev/pmac.

the last 2.2.x stuff is linked from: (and also via penguinppc.org).

http://www.drfruitcake.com/linux/linuxppc.html

*note* there is a dbdma problem that is *not* fixed with the ed21 patch to
2.2.18. (one day I'll apply the 2.4.x stuff back to the 2.2.18) - or if
someone else is interested in trying a merge - I can point them in the right
direction.

===== as of now...

You'd be better off with 2.4.x: (patches + a kernel binary/mods at)

ftp://ftp.penguinppc.org/users/iain/kernel/2_4_x/

==== Gotchas that remain:

1/ the 2.4.x patches will not build-in (stupid mistake on my part - I
renamed a CONFIG_XXX - but not everywhere - oops).

2/ Some PowerCenter machines have a dbdma problem (hardware-related) in
addition to those fixed in the 2.4.x patches.  There is a fix for this "in
the works" - sorry it's a bit slow coming (there's a few waiting) but I'm a
bit bogged down in rent-paying work ATM :-(.

I'll post as soon as the PowerCenter fix is avail.

ciao,
Iain.