xine, ppc and illegal instructions

Henry Worth haworth at ncal.verio.com
Sat Mar 24 17:13:24 EST 2001

BTW, a change in 0.4.01 that doesn't seem
to be documented anywere. To play DVD's and
VCD's, you will need to create links to the
dvd and/or cdrom /dev/* devices for
/dev/dvd and /dev/vcd.

Also, if you don't have a disk loaded, don't
hit the dvd or vcd playlist scan buttons and
if the playlist has a DVD/VCD "MRL" -- don't
select play, <<, >>, or anything else that
might result in an I/O. And to eject, select
stop and give the drive a chance to spin-down
before selecting eject. There is virtually no
status or error checking for the IOCTLS and
other I/O functions. This results in requests
for functions that are not valid for the drive's current state and result in long
bus-reset/retry recovery sequences, often with focus grabbed,
giving the appearance of a hung machine (part
of this may be driver problems).

I've uploaded some more patches to
ftp.linuxppc.org's incoming, they fix a nasty
rogue threads problem and some more queuing
problems that are responsible for a lot of the
hangs during playback. Hopefully, they will
get moved to contrib/unpackaged in a few days.

Henry