What do you all say of the file size ???

Jerry Van Baren vanbaren_gerald at si.com
Wed Mar 21 23:48:57 EST 2001

man fstat

               struct stat
               {
                   dev_t         st_dev;      /* device */
                   ino_t         st_ino;      /* inode */
                   mode_t        st_mode;     /* protection */
                   nlink_t       st_nlink;    /* number of hard links */
                   uid_t         st_uid;      /* user ID of owner */
                   gid_t         st_gid;      /* group ID of owner */
                   dev_t         st_rdev;     /* device type (if inode
device) */
                   off_t         st_size;     /* total size, in bytes */
                   unsigned long st_blksize;  /* blocksize for
filesystem I/O */
                   unsigned long st_blocks;   /* number of blocks
allocated */
                   time_t        st_atime;    /* time of last access */
                   time_t        st_mtime;    /* time of last
modification */
                   time_t        st_ctime;    /* time of last change */
               };

In particular, element st_size.

There is no EOF character stored in the file, that went out of style
with CP/M.  Although DOS/WinXX still support EOF characters, that
doesn't change the validity of my assertion.

If you are trying to find the file size of a raw disk partition that
has been formatted ext2 without using the linux file system resources
(i.e. fstat()), that is a pretty significant undertaking and you will
just have read and understand the ext2 sources.  You are not likely to
get much help or sympathy from this list.

gvb