rtc-driver

Dag Nygren dag at newtech.fi
Mon Mar 12 10:17:26 EST 2001

Hi,

just ran into a problem with my PPC port
to a VME PreP -like board:

The RTC driver for the 146818 will use a "strange"
setup variable that was wrong for my board:
RTC_ALWAYS_BCD
This was set to one, which effectively made the
driver disregard the real setting in the clock
chip.

Can anyone explain to me why this #define
is there at all ?
The actual value read from the chip should
IMHO be the only thing to consider when reading/
writing the chip... Otherwise you will do as my board did:
read binary data and handle it as BCD, which of course
did the wrong thing...

BRGDS

Dag Nygren                               email: dag at newtech.fi
Oy NewTech Ab                            phone: +358 9 8024910
Trasktorpet 3                              fax: +358 9 8024916
02360 ESBO                                 GSM: 0400-426312
FINLAND