Console text selection bug

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Sat Mar 10 19:18:51 EST 2001

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Giuliano Pochini wrote:
> >> It's an endian bug in fbcon when accessing the text/attribute buffer.
>
> > Nevertheless, it's a bug. Can someone please change fbcon_invert_region() to
> > use scr_{read,write}w() to access the shadow screen buffer and see whether it
> > works? Patches are accepted at linux-fbdev-devel at lists.sourceforge.net :-)
>
> Yes, it's an endianess bug.  scr_{read,write}w() are defined as normal
> assignments in vt_buffer.h, so I wonder where is the bug. Is the shadow buffer

No, their definition in vt_buffer.h depends on VT_BUF_HAVE_RW. If that is
defined in <asm/vga.h>, vga.h must provide its own definitions.

> supposed to be native endian ?

It doesn't really matter, since all accesses must be done using
scr_{read,write}w() anyway. For performance reasons we chose native endianness.
Except when VGA (CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE || CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE) is defined, since on
VGA/MDA the shadow buffer _is_ the screen image and must be little endian.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds