"unhandled relocation type 18" ???

Jerry Van Baren vanbaren_gerald at si.com
Tue Mar 6 22:49:31 EST 2001

At 11:22 AM 3/6/01 +0100, Franz Sirl wrote:

>At 09:02 06.03.2001, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>
>>In message <Pine.LNX.4.05.10103060824030.29713-100000 at callisto.of.borg>
>>you wrote:
>> a  kernel  module  that  uses  floating-point

>> > Does it also complain about a missing symbol for `sin'?
>>
>>No, it does not.
>>
>>We made sure to link the module with  the  math  library  to  resolve
>>those references.
>>
>>But we still get those  error  messages;  the  first  is  always  for
>>lshrdi3  -  which is linked with our module (but also provided by the
>>kernel - could there be any problems?), and then we get a  long  list
>>of errors for pack and unpack functions - whatever they are.
>
>18 is a PLTREL24 relocation, so a b/bl has to be involved, but it
>should be
>a REL24 relocation, the PLT usage points to compilation of a module with
>-fpic/-fPIC?
>
>Franz.

Ah-ha, these are good clues.  This sounds to me like an unresolved
reference (most likely) or a branch too far.  An unresolved reference
can cause the linker to try to make the branch go beyond the legal
limits (+/-32MBytes) or you may simply have too large a program for the
relative branches.  I would suggest figuring out the lshrdi3, pack and
unpack errors first.

gvb

Disclaimer: This is speculation based on cruel past experience.