linking RAM disk with kernel image for ROM

Tim M. Sanders tsanders at xyterra.com
Wed Jun 27 06:20:11 EST 2001

Where can I find a document that describes how to include a RAM disk
image (initrd ?) in the linux kernel image?

I want to put the entire image in flash, boot from flash and use a RAM
disk for the root file system.

I know how to create a RAM disk image.  I just don't know where to put
it in the linux tree so it is linked into the final linux image.  Also I
am assuming there needs to be some commands on the linux boot prompt.
What is required to use a RAM disk image as the root file system.