__divdi3 unresolved + X pointer blocks

Holger Bettag hobold at Informatik.Uni-Bremen.DE
Thu Jul 5 21:48:41 EST 2001

Geert Uytterhoeven <geert at linux-m68k.org> writes:

> On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, David Edelsohn wrote:
> > 	You do not seem to have understood my reply.  I will repeat the
> > important sentence:
> >
> > 	SHIFT IS NOT THE SAME AS DIVIDE FOR SIGNED INTEGERS.
>
> Indeed. That's why you have `logical shift right' and
> `arithmetic shift right'.
> The former inserts zeroes, the latter inserts a copy of the MSB.
>
> Don't know from memory whether PPC has them...

Yes, PowerPC has both; but some forms don't have their own opcodes, as they
are emulated with bitfield instructions.

And: 'arithmetic shift right' is _not_ the same as signed divide, because the
rounding of negative operands or results may differ.

  Holger