[linux-fbdev] Matrox and XFree86 4.0.2 update

Petr Vandrovec VANDROVE at vc.cvut.cz
Wed Jan 24 20:44:49 EST 2001

On 24 Jan 01 at 11:11, Ani Joshi wrote:

> I recently ran into an issue with the matroxfb driver and XFree86 4.0.2's
> matrox driver.  Sometime in the past someone decided to use BE
> register access in matroxfb for BE machines, while this is probably The
> Right Way, it produces problems in X.  I can use BE register access
> macro's in X but it was causing problems with the engine, perhaps some DMA
> issue although the dma BE bits are on.

Using big-endian on PPC was required by PPC users for compatibility with
existing XF[86][68]_FBDev servers. Are you sure that there are no problems
otherwise, and that it works correctly on all PReP/CHRP/???? architectures?

And I think that matroxfb should return current driver's endianess to
userspace... Do we have some spare bits in fb_fix_info?
                                            Thanks,
                                                Petr Vandrovec
                                                vandrove at vc.cvut.cz