quad 604 SMP update

Brad Boyer flar at pants.nu
Wed Jan 24 05:01:00 EST 2001

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> >Started removing DIMMS - and the machine booted :-).
> >
> >Any idea why total bogomips would say 11.96 when it should be 1196?
>
> Mark is having the same issue, I'll look into it.
>
> Note that the DIMMs might or might not be the reason of the problem.
> Please tell me what PCI hardware you have in the box (and also, try with
> other DIMMs...)

I don't have a quad CPU machine, but my 7600 when upgraded to a dual 200MHz
board had similar trouble. It has trouble booting Linux if I have all of
the memory I have in it, or in the wrong places. However, the MacOS can
use both CPUs fine with any configuration I try. I have no PCI cards in
this machine, so that isn't the problem for me. Incidentally, the DIMMS
I have to remove are the ones Apple shipped in it.

	Brad Boyer
	flar at pants.nu